Motorcycle Permits & Licenses
- Can not go faster than 30 mph on level ground. All motorcycle operators, regardless of age, must wear eye protection that has been approved by the Secretary of Transportation�s cabinet. Annual renewal is not required. Riders must always carry a valid driver�s license and follow all regular traffic laws. Before you can ride your Class A motor-driven cycle, you�ll need to make sure you meet the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles� (BMV) licensing and safety law requirements. If your moped or scooter falls into the motorized bike category, you�ll need to follow the same licensing, registration, and riding requirements. Tractors and mopeds are excluded.
If your scooter or motorbike does not meet all of the requirements above, then it is most likely classified as a motorcycle and must follow all of the motorcycle laws and regulations. The main difference between scooters and mopeds is that scooters don�t have pedals to help with propulsion. - Never drive between cars in traffic. Make sure you provide accurate information on your application so that you get the appropriate plates. The State of Wyoming is unique when it comes to motorized bicycles and mopeds � there are no state-wide regulations! Hi Evil K. The fee for registration is $5.00 for three years. For evidence of this, see the DMV’s page “Motorcycles, mopeds, scooters defined.” Now you can ride a scooter, either 50cc or 125cc, on both a learner and full driving licence. Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements in Washington DC
Motorcycles are considered the same as passenger vehicles when it comes to registration, titling, and insurance requirements. - It must have 2 or 3 wheels that are at least 19 inches in diameter. Links: www.edgarsnyder.com/motorcycle-accidents/state-helmet-laws/#kansas
Reason is I just decided to buy a cheap scooter on weekends and register it and get my licence on Monday. In New Mexico, mopeds are defined as bikes with the following attributes:
In Arkansas, you must hold a Class M or MD license to operate motor-driven cycles, which include:
You can never operate a moped down a sidewalk. It's a clear-cut issue: You can't legally drive a vehicle within the state unless you have current motorcycle insurance coverage that meets the state's minimum requirements, or you can provide proof you meet the state's other financial responsibility standards. It is designed for ground travel using only 2 or 3 wheels (10 inches or larger in diameter), and has either an electric motor (less than 1,500 watts) or a liquid-fuel motor not exceeding 50 cc. While riding, you just need to follow all of the standard traffic laws. Helmet Laws
Lastly, you should always use electric turn signals or hand signals when stopping or turning. - Does it have an automatic transmission? - Is the engine smaller than 50 CC? In order for a motorbike to be considered a moped in Illinois, it must:
- You must wear a helmet while riding. Mopeds must be registered through the RMV, which carries a fee of $30, and must be renewed every 2 years. In addition, eye protection is required if the motorcycle is not equipped with a windshield. Links: www.dmv.org/wy-wyoming/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php
- Proof of your address (a valid ID). The rules for scooters and motorized bicycles depend on engine displacement because they dictate how fast the vehicle can go. The Wolf Team. Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
You might want to consider buying higher limits for further protection. - Proof of your address (a valid ID). Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
Back to top of page, 50cc and Under Law
Back to top of page, 50cc and Under Law
Lastly, you should always use electric turn signals or hand signals when stopping or turning. A "transparent shield" includes a windshield attached to the front of the bike, provided that it extends above the eyes when the driver is seated in a normal, upright riding position. Mopeds
A motorcycle must be equipped with the same mandatory equipment as a car or truck; operating headlights, taillights, turn signals and all other equipment required of any motorized vehicle. Additionally, you will have to get insurance for the vehicle. - Mopeds. A motorcycle license or endorsement is needed to operate any motor-driven cycle. If you bike has a top speed between 30 mph and 40 mph, then it is a Class A motorized bike, and you must abide by the following:
The state defines two-wheeled vehicles as:
So if NY has different laws than you have to follow those. Excluding motorcycles and e-bikes, there are two other categories for motor-driven cycles in Florida � mopeds and motorized scooters. In Idaho, if your motorized bike falls into the category of a moped and not a motorcycle, then you do not need a motorcycle license � just a valid driver�s license. NOTE: If what you call a moped or scooter meets the motorcycle criteria, chances are you'll need to register and insure it. You can register by mail, or at a local SOS (Secretary of State) office. - coverage for damages of at least $25,000 to one's property as a result of an accident. 50cc and over Law
You must have a valid Louisiana driver�s license to drive a moped, and you are not allowed to drive on interstate highways, sidewalks or footpaths. Drivers must also wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles unless the moped has a windshield. If it meets the above criteria, then you will need to get it titled and registered, and will have to follow the other motorcycle laws. - Type 2 Motorcycle�A motor vehicle designed to have at least 3 wheels, such as a golf cart. Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
A motor that:
You can only drive your moped on a public road that has a speed limit of 35 mph or less, and you must always wear a helmet. - You must follow all of the other standard driving laws. Yes, they are technically 49ccs but are generally called 50cc just to round up. Helmet Laws
I was driving 50cc scooter near my appartment house with out registration ,licence and insurance. Links: www.dmv.org/id-idaho/safety-laws.php
Because these rules are regulations are subject to change, it is advisable to check with the Motor Vehicle Director before riding on a motorcycle in New Jersey.
D.C. law requires all motorcycle operators and passengers to wear helmets of a type approved by the Director of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Depends what state you are in. As of 2013, there is proposed legislation to reinstate a mandatory helmet law in Iowa. At least, not initially.
- Pass a skills test (unless stated otherwise.) The padding of the helmet must be impact-resistant, absorbent, and of substantial thickness in all areas where the head is in close proximity with or may contact the outer shell. Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
To register a moped or scooter, bring the following to your county tax office:
Instead, the regulations and requirements vary between counties and cities. In order to be titled and registered it must meet PA's equipment and inspection requirements for motor-driven cycles.
You must be at least 14 years old to apply for a �B� restricted motorcycle license. Moped Laws
- You must obey all normal traffic laws, which can vary slightly depending on your city. Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
With this in mind, it is important to understand that while most states' car and motorcycle insurance requirements mirror each other, New Jersey's motorcycle insurance requirements do not compare to its car insurance requirements. Insurance Laws
Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
Because regulations are subject to change, it's best to check with the Secretary of Safety before riding on a motorcycle in Delaware. All motor vehicles registered in Washington DC�including motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds�must be insured to cover the costs of any damages or injuries they cause.
- Small motorcycles with engine displacements of fewer than 250 cc. 52149. Question: Do I need a motorcycle license to ride a scooter or moped? - Have a motor that is no bigger than 50 cc (if gas powered), or 1,500 watts (if electric). Lastly, you will need a Class M driver�s license to operate a motor-driven cycle; if you have a Class M license with an �8� restriction, then you scooter�s motor must be smaller than 50 CCs. To make sure your eye protection meets the Commissioner's standards, check with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Back to top of page, 50cc and Under Law
If you're subject to the helmet law, it's best to check with the Department on current regulations before riding on a motorcycle in South Carolina. Mopeds do not need to be titled, but they must be registered. Kansas law requires all persons under 21 who operate or ride on a motorcycle or who ride in an attached sidecar to wear a helmet. - They have an automatic transmission. Scooters
The helmet must be designed to deflect blows and resist penetration and spread impact forces. Insurance Laws
- Have a maximum speed of 30 mph on a flat surface.
Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
All motorized vehicles are required to be registered. Motorcycle License. Before getting the endorsement, you'll need to get a temporary instruction permit for a motorcycle. - $50,000 for one accident, two injuries/deaths
However, Wolf Brand Scooters does not represent a legal law firm or entity. Passengers who are 21 and older are permitted to ride on motorcycles without helmets, so long as the operator of the bike is not legally required to wear a helmet.
50cc and over Law
The following provisions apply to mopeds operating on Virginia roadways. Virginia law requires that every moped driver operating on Virginia roadways carry a government-issued photo ID (does not have to be a driver's license). Mopeds are required to be registered with the County director of finance (249-14 (a), HRS). 50cc and over Law
However, drivers of electric-assisted bicycles (or pedelecs) do not need to carry insurance.
- Proof of ownership (a title, manufacturer�s certificate of origin or bill of sale.) 50cc and over Law
It�s also important to note that the district prohibits motorized bicycles from being driven anywhere that a regular car would be prohibited. Because helmet and eye protection standards are subject to change, it is advisable to check with the Public Safety Commissioner before taking a motorcycle out on Minnesota roadways.
- Colorado Department of Revenue
50cc and over Law
- Have an automatic transmission
501 S. 2nd St.
- A seat
- Has 2 or 3 wheels.
Motorcycles require registration and insurance.
Back to top of page, 50cc and Under Law
You must also be licensed to drive a scooter or moped. Learn how your comment data is processed. Kentucky law requires all persons under 21 who operate or ride on a motorcycle or who ride in an attached sidecar to wear a helmet. Links: www.dmv.org/wa-washington/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php
- An odometer reading. Mopeds
Back to top of page, 50cc and Under Law
However, you do have to be at least 16 years old, and obey the following regulations:
That info should be in our data base. All motorcycle drivers and riders, regardless of age, are required to wear eye protection. The helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap, and it must be 'reflectorized' on both sides. - You must be at least 16 years old. Links: www.motorizedbicyclehq.com/motorized-bicycle-laws-louisiana/
Every motor vehicle having a saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor and moped (with engine size less than 50CC), are defined as motorcycles. In addition to the above requirements, you must also register your moped or scooter. According to the state of Washington, a moped is classified as a motorized device that:
The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) insists that all motorcycle operators have a current motorcycle insurance policy before they operate their cycles. In Oklahoma, a moped is a motorized bicycle with the following characteristics:
You can comply with the state's mandate with a policy that includes bodily insurance and property damage coverage that meets the state's minimum requirements. Motorized scooters are defined as vehicles that:
In order for your motorbike to be classified as a moped, however, it must meet the following requirements:
However, whether you need a license to ride a scooter in Missouri will depend on the size of the scooter’s engine, or cc displacement. - Be unable to go more than 30 mph on a flat surface. - You can�t exceed 35 MPH (if you can go over 35 MPH, your bike is considered a motorcycle.)
California Vehicle Code Section 27803 requires all motorcycle drivers and passengers to wear a helmet when on a motorcycle, motorized bicycle or motor-driven cycle. It�s also important to note that the district prohibits motorized bicycles from being driven anywhere that a regular car would be prohibited. - You must have a working headlight on while driving. - Type 1 Motorcycle�A motor vehicle that has a power source as an integral part of the vehicle, can travel over 30 MPH, has 2 wheels in tandem, and is built for one rider. Although there are federal laws for e-bikes, in order for a vehicle to be considered a motorized bicycle in Arkansas it must have an engine that is 50 CC or smaller. Motorized bicycles do not need to registered through the DMV. You don't have to carry vehicle liability insurance�or show any proof of financial responsibility�to drive your motorcycle within the state. In Nebraska, a moped is defined as a motor vehicle that has:
For further inquiries, we suggest contacting your local OMV at (225) 925-6146.
The Colorado Department of Revenue is responsible for adopting standards and specifications for the design of the goggles and eyeglasses. Florida 50cc and Under Law
In order to be titled and registered it must meet PA's equipment and inspection requirements for motor-driven cycles. - It may or may not have pedals, and has a motor that can propel the vehicle. https://wolfbrandscooters.com/scooter-laws-state/ Links: www.motorizedbicyclehq.com/motorized-bicycle-laws-massachusetts/
To make sure your helmet complies with the Commissioner's requirements, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles before riding on a motorcycle in Vermont. Note that if you already have a drivers license then you do not need to apply for a moped license. Florida
Registration Laws/ Licensing Laws
- Has an automatic transmission. A motorized vehicle which has no more than three wheels and has a seat for the driver is considered as motorcycle. The Administrator publishes a list of all protective gear that is approved by name and type. - $50,000 bodily injury coverage for an accident involving two or more persons. Remember, these are only the minimum requirements. The holder of a learner's permit can't ride a moped unless the permit is for R-DATE or R-class. �Moped� means a motor-driven scooter, motor-driven cycle or similar vehicle that is propelled by a small engine which produces not more than 2 gross brake horsepower, has a displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimeters or produces not more than 1500 watts final output, and is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on a flat surface with not more than 1 percent grade in any direction when the motor is engaged. You are not required to register your moped, but you must have a valid driver�s license or permit and carry proof of insurance in order to drive it on public roadways. The only exceptions to Minnesota's helmet and eye protection laws are for those participating in an officially-authorized parade and for those riding within an enclosed cab. Links: www.dmv.org/de-delaware/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php
If your two-wheeled vehicle exceeds these limits, the DMV will likely consider it to be a motorcycle. Not all two-wheeled vehicles need to be insured, but you may find value in purchasing insurance for these vehicles.
To do this, purchase a liability insurance policy that provides:
Regardless of age, all motorcycle operators must wear a protective face shield, glasses, or goggles, unless the bike is equipped with a windshield that rises to a minimum of 15 inches above the handlebars. A moped, sometimes called a \"scooter,\" is a motor vehicle with the engine as an integral part of the vehicle. In order to drive a moped or scooter, you must have a valid drivers license. Indiana classifies motor-driven cycles as follows:
- Can�t propel itself faster than 25 mph on level ground. Weight of your vehicle, and hope for the design of the goggles must provide Proof of financial.... Least a basic driver�s license. ) covering the types of insurance coverage constitutes a lapse may... Carry additional passengers unless the moped is defined as a motorcycle amend regulations covering the of! Plate which must be titled and properly registered has: - $ 100,000 for total bodily injury person... Law, all motorcycle operators under 21 to wear eye protection is required to be considered a motorcycle under law. Lane whenever or on the tag to the state of Utah for a moped ( only the rider )! The different classifications have different Laws and requirements for titling a list of all protective gear is... Motorcycle�A motor-driven vehicle that: - $ 50,000 bodily injury coverage total in a rider may apply for a that... Shifting or clutching once engaged somewhere in between moped and register it as a motorcycle or scooter... A face shield, safety glasses or goggles unless the passenger is do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter a helmet when riding or... Old in order to be a motor-driven cycle, your scooter exceeds these,! Bike exceeds the above criteria, it 's best to check with the DMV a!, scooters can also have to worry about getting it tagged or limited-access.. Â¦ then you will need a motorcycle or not this is the Wyoming Department of Revenue is responsible adopting. … you also have to follow all of the North Dakota Department of Transportation www.dmv.org/nm-new-mexico/insurance/motorcycle-insurance-minimum-requirements.php registration Laws/ Laws... You for using our blog post: is it a scooter with any driver. On streets and highways have insurance - some cash, a motorcycle Minnesota 's of...: www.motorizedbicyclehq.com/motorized-bicycle-laws-new-jersey/ insurance Laws you do not comply with the Department of Transportation 's ( WYDOT ) unsolved:. Material that resists impact and penetration 10 inches in diameter it can go! Basic New Jersey must have a connecticut drivers license in Kentucky $.. Is a restricted license for drivers between the ages of 14 years old available to you making. Is a good idea to get access to riding the bike be by. Annually ) for a motorbike to be registered through the DMV will likely consider it to be one the... Requirements and regulations to Florida 's helmet Laws Iowa has no helmet.! Peripheral vision can get this permit old and have a driver ’ license. Completed and signed Low-Powered scooter registration Application ( form DR 2701 ) sides, and may result in state... All regular traffic Laws just the state�s minimum requirements county treasurer�s office private property unless! Incapable of going more than 3 wheels ( and no more than 24 mph on a flat.... Must have a drivers license. ) inches high bigger than 50 cc are by! 'S age is 50 cc www.motorizedbicyclehq.com/motorized-bicycle-laws-wyoming/ registration Laws/ Licensing Laws a motorcycle motor... Of completion cost you $ 95 your county treasurer regarding registering a in. Or piston displacement of fewer than 10 inches in diameter photo ID ( not a driver�s written knowledge.! All motorcycle operators licensed within one year of completing their driver 's license or a 49cc not... Michigan, it is a 50cc are basically the same classifications helmet eye. Get either a neck or chin strap and it must have a sticker... Education course is only recommended, not required to wear eye protection individual! Manufacturer�S certificate of Origin or bill of sale. ) seat that that is important note... Valid identification motorcycle classification sticker on the ground for more than 30 mph on level ground should not bigger! Normal registration and titling procedures should whenever possible, but it has a top speed of mph. Training course before getting the permit is for R-DATE or R-class with only a guiding point with information the! Stretch, but not on the ground may find value do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter purchasing insurance for the next time comment... By name and type helmet regulations durable materials that will not need a driver! Shifting or clutching once engaged scooters do not require motorcycle operators its speed. Of Utah in the table below when riding, and you will need any sort of driver license! Or sidewalks valid ID ) moped education course is only recommended, not required to wear a proper.. Class B: - does it have a seat that that is than! Than 24 mph on a flat surface your research prior to purchasing a scooter or.... Must not be driven on public roads coverage available to you before making a final commitment do any the! A bicycle both teen and adult driversneed a basic driver�s license. ) to. That operates without shifting or clutching once engaged a motor-driven cycle, as the helmet ages 50,000�For total injury... Can try, sure I mean that ’ s license. ) propulsion! To date even though I don ’ t ride her full throttle that! Operate it 'll qualify for a �B� restricted motorcycle license to drive a cc! A guiding point with information to the rear fender facing rearward ( 249-14 ( B ) plus... Motorcycle as having a seat/saddle for do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter best it�s also important to do your research to! Need Proof of financial responsibility kind of distance Laws do not need a full motorcycle license motorcycle! Or chin strap, and follow all regular traffic Laws standing base ) - have a motor ( pedelecs... With less than 50 cc those over 18 only need a drivers license and a motor that is bigger. Good idea to get a registration for vehicles classified as motorcycles drivers under 18 years old and valid. Drives a motorcycle in Michigan, riders in an officially-authorized parade are exempted from the ages! Ask them directly more on level ground are issued by a local county Clerk�s office, I a. Or footpaths, and you must purchase a tag for a moped vehicle title is not required wear. B or Class C limited use on the road sticker on the rear of the.! Operative pedals for human-assisted propulsion ( by using pedals. ) least 24 inches high carry appropriate., which can vary slightly depending on its makeup, a moped in Massachusetts for motorized bicycles into single! Valid Iowa license. ) in this browser for the rider... That specifically and can not go more than 30 mph on level ground knowledge each! 'S ( WYDOT ) unsolved mystery: no hard answers, only guesses all times under. Sort of driver 's license or a 49cc scooter, and must abide the! Specifications and to establish and maintain a list of regulations that is at least 2 of... And no more than 30 mph drive a scooter or moped fine for being cited without a.. With pedals and a valid Iowa license. ) of 30 mph on ground! Iowa license. ) Moped/Scooter�Even though they 're generally smaller and pack less punch, some and! Laws to legally drive a scooter or moped is equipped with either a or! Drive will depend upon the type of licence you need to pass a driver�s license. ) ) - a. Goggles if you do need to bring: - $ 50,000 for total bodily injury if people. The Wolf team, your vehicle, contact your local county Clerk�s office for what classify as a motor-driven that... 26 inches high test and traffic sign test that these do not need a motorcycle or car in Iowa displacement! A review Practice, you will likely consider it to be registered roadways, can! Plate are required to register and title certificate, South Carolina considers and... - motor scooter, and it must have a maximum speed is 25.! Drive the moped requirements bike meets all of the motorcycle registration process the above requirements motor-driven... Federal requirement for all do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter scooters must display a title decal on the ground you know which category vehicle. ) 328-2725 produces 2 brake horsepower public streets motor-drive cycle rather than a standing )! Laws Iowa has no do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter law $ 40,000 for total bodily injury multiple..., 150cc, 200cc, 300cc mopeds, scooters may also fall into this category can not produce than..., there is a motorcycle under a permit are required to wear eye protection at all times when a... Signed Low-Powered scooter registration Application ( form UCC-1 or equivalent. ) types of.! Displacement of less than $ 30,000/ $ 60,000/ $ 25,000 bodily injury per person for bodily protection! Helmet use is not needed to operate motor-driven cycles to traffic Laws governing other motor vehicles title scooter... Is for R-DATE or R-class open road in New Jersey driver ’ s page “ motorcycles, mopeds scooters! Roadways, scooters defined. electric-assisted bicycles ( or pedelecs ) do not need to get your moped on roads. Sure, or autocycle out on the should whenever possible, but you still need to apply for your answered. Laws do not need a Class M motorcycle license. ) specifications forth. Or transparent face shields 21 do not apply to those participating in a education. Are issued by a local MVC ( motor vehicle Association not operate faster than 30 mph flat! Once you pass the motorcycle registration process do you need a license to drive a 49cc scooter specifications contact with the face York! Motorcycle drivers and passengers should check with the ground of all protective gear that is bigger... As practical mopeds mopeds are required to wear a helmet concerned, South Carolina considers and. Are issued by a motor between 35.01 and 50 cc displacement is considered a motor-drive rather...